Travel insurance, for most people, is something they pay for and then hope they will never have to use. When it comes to making a claim on a travel insurance policy, many people find their insurance company refuses to pay. Usually this is because the policy they took out did not cover the particular item being claimed for, or because they have gone with the wrong company.
So what can you do to make sure you don’t get caught out before you buy a travel insurance policy?
Approach an insurance provider such as ourselves, with plenty of expertise in the field. We have both the specialist knowledge and the experience necessary to provide each individual customer with the right insurance policy for them.
It’s also important to think about exactly what you need from your insurance. Some aspects you may not have considered include:
- Are you covered if you ride a motorbike? This is a common exclusion on many policies, but most people don’t realise this. You probably automatically assume extreme sports and skiing would be excluded, but motorbikes might not immediately come to mind.
- How does the policy define a pre-existing condition? How rigorous are the conditions, and what information do you need to declare?
- Check the age limits on the policy. Age limits vary, so make sure everyone you are insuring meets the age conditions.
- Are you able to work while travelling? For some travellers a trip includes both work and leisure aspects, but many policies don’t cover you while working.
- For longer trips there are important administrative details to be checked. For example, if you are on a planned three year working holiday and your initial policy is for one year, make sure the policy allows you to renew it annually. Some policies require that you intend to return to “home” at the end of the period covered. In these circumstances, a policy will not be able to be extended while you are away. Others will not issue a new policy if you are already away from “home”, and are already designated as travelling.
If anything is even a little bit unclear, don’t be afraid to ask. We’re always on hand to explain things and we’re dedicated to finding you a policy which is customised to your individual circumstances.